Safe Photo 2: A Xamarin.Forms app for Android, iOS and Windows
On September 2013 I released Safe Photo a native application for Android that allows you to hide pictures on your phone.
The app was quite successful with over 100.000 downloads and an impressive rating of 4.1.
During these years I’ve stopped to write native apps to concentrate entirely on Xamarin. So the logic consequence of that is that I’ve now created a new version of the app with Xamarin.Forms: Safe Photo 2.
The idea behind the app is always the same: Safe Photo 2 will allow you to hide your secret pictures behind the security of the app.
- Protect the photos on your smartphone or tablet
- Take new photos directly from the application, they will be protected automatically
- Import photos from the public gallery (then delete them from the public gallery)
- Protect your privacy with a numeric password
- Organise your photos in galleries
- Share your photos with whoever you want and how you want
- The application can run on an external memory card so you will not consume the internal memory of your smartphone
- Your photos are invisible also connecting the phone to a PC
- Delete one or more images or galleries in one click
- Compatible with smartphones and tablets
- And it’s free
Xamarin : How the app is made
To store all the data, Safe Photo 2 uses a SQLite database and of course the app uses the Sqlite Plugin For Xamarin And Windows (Nuget package).
The app also uses a Google Admob to show ads as banners and interstitials. As soon as possible I’ll create a package to easily add Admob to your Xamarin applications. If you prefer to write code yourself instead of using the plugin, I’ll also add a tutorial on how to add Admob on Xamarin.Android, Xamarin.iOS and Ads on UWP.
The app also uses some Dependency Services to execute some code on the native platforms. We use them to
- Share a picture
- Save, Copy and delete Files
- Implement banners and interstitials for Admob
Do you want to know more about the app code or about Xamarin? Let me know and I’ll tell you more.